Tulse Hill & Dulwich Hockey Club was formed in 2002, when Tulse Hill Hockey Club, Dulwich Hockey Club and Dulwich Women’s Hockey Club merged into one single club. All three clubs had a significant amount of history behind them. Tulse Hill was founded in 1893, Dulwich Women’s Hockey Club in 1979.
Tulse Hill Hockey Club
Much of the hockey played in the London area during the 1870-90s, when the game took root, was the result of cricket clubs looking for a sporting activity for their members during the winter. Tulse Hill HC was started, supported and grew, under the patronage of the Lovell family. John Cary Lovell founded a cricket club in 1884 and acquired some land in what is now called Trinity Rise for a ground. In 1892 the cricket team played a few games of hockey against usual cricket opposition. However in October 1893, John Cary’s third son, Edward Driver decided with a group of friends to form a hockey club. They named it Tulse Hill HC, John Cary became its first President and Edward its first captain. Incidentally the second son, John Spencer Lovell went on to found the international law firm Lovells and played for the club for many years.
A pitch was marked out in November 1893 with the first games being played against Grecian and Thames Ditton. In 1894 a field for hockey was leased, the turf was broken up, levelled, drained and then returfed. On 10 May 1894 the club joined the Hockey Association being proposed by Wimbledon and seconded by West Kent.
A number of years later the club moved to a ground in Honor Oak before moving to its most recent base on Dulwich Common where it formed part of the Honor Oak and Tulse Hill Sports Club.
Dulwich Hockey Club & Dulwich Women’s Hockey Club
The following is adapted from the history that was written in 1982 by the then Club President, Richard Bullock, CB., to celebrate the Club’s 75th Anniversary. Sadly, Richard died on 14th June 1998, aged 77.
In the beginning there was the Dulwich Cricket Club, founded in 1867. In 1907 the Hockey Section came into being as the Dulwich C.C. Hockey Club. The brothers Huntley from the Cricket Club were the moving spirits in the founding of the Club, S.E. being the first Captain and F. the first Secretary. Up to 1914 they filled between them all the key offices in the Club. In 1908 a second team was fielded and the Club affiliated to Surrey.
There is a gap in the records from 1914 to 1925, but it is known that hockey resumed in 1919, in which year A. L. Pemberton joined: the Club’s first international (England, 1923) he was 1st XI Captain from 1920 – 1935. His brother Gerald joined about the same time and the youngest brother, Guy followed later in the Thirties.
By 1927 there were 5 teams, and in 1931/32 for the first time 6 teams played throughout the season. The inter-war years saw international caps won by a number of players; most of these played only a few seasons with Dulwich – apart from Loi Pemberton who despite many invitations to join stronger clubs remained a loyal member of Dulwich all his life.
In December 1955 another post-war landmark was reached – or at least glimpsed: a 6th XI was raised – though only once : it was not till 1967/68 that 6 sides were run throughout a season. 1965 was a remarkable year – 6 Dulwich players had England trials and Malcolm Read scored all of England’s goals. That season too Dulwich were joint winners, with Hounslow, of the Surrey/Middlesex 75th Anniversary 6-a-side tournament.
1979/80 was outstanding; whereas only two years before there was difficulty in raising a 6th XI, this year there were enough members for a 7th to be run (for the first time ever) for more than half the season. There is little doubt that the upsurge in numbers was connected with the appearance almost out of thin air the same season of Dulwich Ladies Hockey Club. This owed its origins to a match in 1977 between the Villagers and a team of ladies from Dulwich Squash Club organised by Roma English, which was such a success that the ladies decided to try and form a regular team. Within 12 months of the historic decision by the Dulwich HC Committee in October 1978 to give its blessing and encouragement to a Ladies Section, Roma English’s prodigious efforts resulted in a fully fledged club with 3 Saturday sides, a full fixture list, a Sunday side (the Commoners) and their own pitches at James Allen Girls’ School – a remarkable achievement which was recognised by the Hockey Club electing Roma English its first lady Vice-President.